Campo d'aviazione Sovizzo
Air warfareSovizzo airport
During the First World War there was a huge development of military aviation. The two opposing armies employed aircrafts to patrol enemy territory, but also for aerial combat and the bombing of troops and settlements.
After the aerial bombings of Recoaro, Valdagno, Schio, and Vicenza in 1916, the military commanders realized the need to protect the lines and the population from this new and powerful weapon.
Towards the end of 1916, along the Ortogonale 1 / Agno – Leogra ridgeline, in the low Agno valley, another airport was set up in Trissino, and in 1917 two more, in Castelgomberto and Sovizzo. The first two remained in operation until the end of the war, and saw the presence of French air planes.
The landing strip and the Command headquarters were in the La Vecchia area, while the pilots were hosted in Contrada La Vecchia an in the villas of Sovizzo. The landing strip featured about 10 hangars for the aircrafts.
Near Contrada La Vecchia two cave shelters were built to guarantee the safety of personnel.
On 20th February 1918, captain Natale Palli and his squadron took off from this airport to conduct a successful air raid over the city of Innsbruck.
In May 1918, the overflow of the Onte river severely damaged the landing strip and the aircrafts, causing the Sovizzo airport to close for good, and the planes to be moved to Castelgomberto.
